Stuck on what to bring to a family bbq or dinner party with friends? Well look no further than these Mexican style stuffed capsicums! They are filled with a deliciously flavourful spiced quinoa mixed with fresh tomatoes and sweet corn. Once baked, the capsicum becomes tender and the quinoa forms a crisp layer on top providing a delightful contrast of textures. They can be thrown together in less than 15 minutes and then the rest is up to the oven. Perfect as a starter or a side dish, and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Serves 4 as a main or 8 as a side
4 fresh capsicums
1 cup white quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cob of corn, shucked
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of fresh coriander
1. Cook the quinoa first – thoroughly rinse and drain, then place in a saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, allow to simmer until all the water has been absorbed. While the quinoa cooks, preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a large baking tray.
2. When the quinoa has finished cooking, fluff with a fork then add to a large bowl along with the tomato, the corn, oregano, paprika, cumin and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
3. Slice the capsicums in half and remove the stalks and seeds.
4. Generously stuff the capsicums with the quinoa mixture.
5. Place the stuffed capsicums on a baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden.
6. Remove from the oven and top with coriander and any other toppings you desire. Other delicious topping ideas include avocado, finely sliced red onion, nutritional yeast, shaved parmesan or sprinkled feta.
This recipe was contributed by Ella aka @thecuriousavocado.