These cookies are packed with warming winter flavours and they make the perfect breakfast for those who are on the go and short on time but still want a filling and nourishing start to the day.
And who wouldn’t want to eat cookies for breakfast? They are packed full of crunch that is balanced with the chewiness of baked apple which is complemented with warming notes of cinnamon and nutty undertones of the tahini.
3 cups oats (rolled or quick or a mixture)
2 cups apples, roughly chopped
1 cup buckwheat groats
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ cup tahini (or other nut/seed butter)*
3 tbsp melted coconut oil*
2 tbsp brown rice malt syrup*
1. Preheat your oven to 150 degrees.
2. Add the apples to a large mixing bowl along with the cinnamon and coconut sugar. Mix well to coat.
3. Add the oats and buckwheat and mix well. Then add in the tahini, coconut oil and rice malt syrup.
4. Fold together until clumps form and it holds together well. Working with a heaped tablespoon at a time, roll into balls and pack tightly. Ensure that they are tightly packed into balls so prevent them from falling apart.
5. Place on a lined baking sheet and gently press down. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
6. Allow to cool completely then enjoy! Can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
*Item not available online but is available in your local GoodFor store.
This recipe was contributed by Ella aka @thecuriousavocado.