This savoury tart has a smooth and creamy pumpkin filling, a crisp buckwheat base and a topping of sweet and tender caramelised onion. It is the perfect morning tea shared with friends or for a nutritious afternoon snack.
1 medium butternut pumpkin
200ml coconut milk
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1 teaspoon paprika
4 cloves garlic
2 brown onions
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup water
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 ¼ cup buckwheat flour
3 tbsp coconut oil + extra for greasing
⅓ cup tapioca flour
2 tbsp ground flax
2 tbsp psyllium husk
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Peel and cut up the pumpkin into small cubes and add to a baking tray with the paprika, garlic cloves, salt and pepper and olive oil. Toss to coat then place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until tender.
3. To make the base, start by mixing together the flax, psyllium and water in a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, tapioca flour and salt. Then add the flax mixture and coconut oil and mix well. Knead together until it forms a dough.
5. Grease a rectangular tart tin then roll out the dough in between 2 pieces of baking paper. Gently transfer the dough to the tart tin then press down evenly. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
6. While the dough chills, chop up the onions then add to a pan with the water and coconut sugar over high heat. Once brought to a simmer reduce to a medium-low heat and cook until the onions are translucent and caramelised.
7. To make the tart filling, peel the garlic cloves then add them along with the pumpkin, coconut milk and tapioca flour to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
8. Cover the dough in the tin in foil then place pie weights or dried beans such as black beans or chickpeas and blind bake for about 15 minutes.
9. Remove the pre-baked tart base from the oven then add the pumpkin filling and caramallised onion. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until the tart case is golden and the filling is cooked.
Garnish with rosemary and allow to cool before slicing, then enjoy!
*Item available in any of your local GoodFor stores
This recipe has been contributed by Ella aka @thecuriousavocado.