French toast is a classic weekend breakfast and this recipe is a plant based take on the family favourite. With a base of creamy cashews to make the batter and hints of cinnamon and sweetness of coconut sugar, this eggless version may just become your Sunday morning go-to. Use the best quality bread you can, as this makes all the difference – a freshly baked sourdough is perfect!
5-6 thick slices of good quality sourdough
½ cup cashews
½ cup water
½ tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp coconut sugar
Maple syrup to serve
1. Soak the cashews in cold water for at least 4 hours or hot water for at least 30 minutes. Drain and rinse the cashews then add them to a blender along with the water, cinnamon and coconut sugar. Blend on a high speed until completely smooth.
2. Add the cashew batter to a large shallow bowl.
3. Slice up your bread into about 6 slices of your desired thickness.
4. Heat a good drizzle of oil of your choice in a pan over medium heat.
5. While the pan heats up, add the first slice of bread to the batter.
6. Allow to soak up the batter for about 30 seconds on each side then add to the pan.
7. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden then flip over.
8. Continue to soak and cook the slices of bread until all the batter is used up.
9. To caramelised the banana, slice lengthwise and add to a pan over medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes until softened and golden.
10. Serve the french toast with the banana on top as well as a good drizzle of maple syrup.