Lentils are a great nutrient dense yet affordable food that makes up the base of this Dahl. Red lentils are combined with spices and coconut milk to create a creamy and flavourful meal that can be enjoyed with family and friends or frozen for meal prep. It can be served with steamed rice or for a lighter option, try the lemoney Cavolo Nero that adds an element of freshness.
1 tbsp oil of choice (coconut or a high heat avocado oil work well)
2 small brown onions, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp curry powder
400ml coconut milk
4 cups water or vegetable stock
2 cups red lentils
2 cups cavolo nero (or any other winter greens you fancy)
2 tbs lemon juice
1. In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium heat then add the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Add in the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, ginger and chilli and stir well. Add in the lentils, water or vegetable stock and coconut milk. Stir well, then bring to a simmer and cover.
3. Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the desired thickness for the Dahl is reached.
4. For the cavolo nero, heat the olive oil in the pan and chop up the cavolo nero. Add to the pan along with the lemon juice and cook for about 2 minutes until slightly wilted.
5. Serve the dahl with the lemony greens on the side, garnish with coriander and enjoy!